httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http mod_mime.c
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:37:59 GMT
From: "Rodent of Unusual Size" <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 3:16 PM

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:
> >
> > If the administrator uses AddHandler for
> > .cgi, .php, .shtml and .foo, and all four
> > of these files exist in /htdocs,
> > which one should mod_negotation elect?
> And what about extensions that have meaning to both,
> hmm?  Such as AddHander server-parsed .html?

They are accepted.  Handler/Filter recognition never _revokes_
the found attribute.

> > Since we have no mechanics to assign any preference,
> > I depreciated the broken behavior.
> The inability to specify a preference is *not* broken.

They can specify a preference, by attaching any _negotiation_
to the file extention.

> > If the user browses to index.cgi, index.php, index.shtml,
> > or, they will get the correct content.  If they
> > browse to index, they would find a Not Found.
> Now *that's* broken, and badly.  What they should get is
> a 300 Multiple Choices.

> > Greg Ames reverted to the 1.3 behavior, where they will
> > get the smallest of the four files (of these four Handler
> > variants.)  This was wrong before, and is certainly wrong
> > for 2.0 forward.
> I disagree that it was necessarily wrong.  Suboptimal,
> but not automatically wrong.

Not suboptimal.  Try erratic and unpredictable [in the mind of
the typical administrator.]

> > When we allow the administrator to prioritize between
> > these handler/filter assignments, then we can permit
> > such filename extensions to participate in Multiviews.
> > Until then, this behavior is unacceptable.
> Strong words..  and they seem to assume that extensions
> will only participate in the content-type OR the handler/filter
> axes, but not both.  Which is a bogus assumption (I say
> that because I use 'em that way myself).

No, as I mentioned up front, we don't demote the file's negotated
status, and we can add filter(s) and handler definitions to that
same extention.

> > Several admin-type folks have posted to the list that
> > they agree
> :
> > and choosing the 'wrong file' from negotation is a bug,
> > not misconfiguration.
> Oh, bollocks.  :-)  If there are multiple files that
> mee the criteria, *none* of them are the 'wrong file'
> (yes, I noticed the quotes).  They are all equally
> acceptable to the client, and the server is permitted
> to break the tie however it likes.

But they are not necessarily intended to be served by the fellow
or gal who populated that web directory, and this is one of those
strange places where the seperation between maintaining content
and administering the web server can introduce tons of confusion.

See my patch from this morning, see if it 'fits the bill' from your
vantage point.

View raw message