httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: .asis handler isn't driven
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 18:20:42 GMT
Dirk,

  we aren't discussing the <AddFoo content-value ext> directives,
those continue to work fine.  And yes, it would be nice to add a bit of
server-side 'quality control' over negotiation (say, an additional
'multiplier' where 1.000 is as-requested, .500 would cut the client
assigned weight in half, etc.)  That's a different topic, though.

  We are discussing the effect of <AddHandler somehandler ext> on
negotiation.  That handler isn't part of the calculation for negotation,
therefore my patch from a few weeks ago stopped adding that extension to
the list that was "automagically" acceptable to multiviews.  The client
must now present the ".ext" extension when submitting the request, or
the file won't be served.

  Ergo, the server will now ignore index.cgi if the user requests "index"
and <AddHandler cgi-script cgi> is the only 'association' for .cgi.  If
the admin associates cgi through mime types, then yes, mod_negotiation
still evalutates "index.cgi" in a multiviewed request for "index".

  So taking the .asis example;

AddMimeType httpd/send-as-is

  DOES work today, with the change.  Here, ".asis" is a mime type, so it
goes the through mime type negotiation phase.

Bill