httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf ldap.conf proxy.conf ssl.conf httpd-std.conf httpd-win.conf
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2001 22:26:09 GMT
From: "Greg Stein" <gstein@lyra.org>
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 3:27 AM

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 08:40:38PM -0000, wrowe@apache.org wrote:
> > wrowe       01/10/04 13:40:38
> >
> >   Modified:    docs/conf httpd-std.conf httpd-win.conf
> >   Added:       docs/conf ldap.conf proxy.conf ssl.conf
> >   Log:
> >     Split the significant modules into segregated module configs.
> >
> >     Probably should do the same with negotation/autoindex, since those
> >     are _so_ huge, but not this afternoon on my schedule.
>
> Woah. No way... we spent a lot of time and pain getting from three configs
> back to just one. And now we're just reversing that.
>
> The ldap.conf shouldn't even be present. That isn't part of httpd-2.0 so why
> is the config in there?

It's there so the ldap guys can move it to httpd-ldap when that cvs repository
is created.  I would have done it myself if that repository we voted to create
some time ago already existed.

We agreed on list that ssl-std.conf would be the ssl directives, which are their
own mess, and not everyone will build with ssl.

> proxy.conf is a "whole" 20 lines or so. Splitting that out is just a damned
> pain in the butt.

I extrapolated that to proxy.  Proxy is it's own beast (not a negative) that
_does_ grow in size when configured by users.  But its config doesn't usually
interact with the rest of the -local- server.  That's why I suggest splitting
it, but would be happy pulling it back into httpd-std.conf, if that's what
most of the list prefers.  Again, the majority of sites never turn on proxy.

> Please explain... this just doesn't seem right at all. Multiple configs are
> nasty nasty nasty.

This isn't srm/access all over again.  The modules proposed here are either
entirely different aspects of the server (proxy), subprojects (ldap) or
crypto (ssl) that will not be distributed frequently.

On that note, I can certainly live with leaving the autoindex and negotiation
stuff in httpd.conf.

Bill