httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: .asis handler isn't driven
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 15:12:31 GMT
From: "Greg Ames" <gregames@remulak.net>
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 9:44 AM

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:
> >
> > Greg, this isn't an error, and the early "Success" was a catastrophic
> > failure for many cases.
>
> Sir, you are mistaken.  daedalus's config file contains
>
>  AddHandler send-as-is asis
>
> That says that if /search.html is requested, and file
> <docroot>/search.html.asis exists, it is a match and it to be served by
> the handler who understands the "send-as_is" string (mod_asis's
> handler), without interference from other modules.  That no longer
> happens.  We cannot put this code into production until it is fixed.

Then we need to decide my other message.

How do you negotatate a request for "search" when there are;

search.shtml
search.cgi
search.asis

sitting in a directory?  How do you express a preference in the configuration
between these variants?

Answer; Apache 1.3/prior 2.0 decided by the size of those three files.

Is that adaquate?

> > If a user of 1.3/earlier 2.0 copied index.html to index.html.bak, and
> > added a new paragraph to index.html, then queried index.html ...
> >
> > index.html.bak was returned, since the file was _smaller_.
>
> I agree...that's clearly wrong.  But so is the current fix.

There are two issues.  One - we used to serve some unrecognized extensions.
I think we all agree that's bogus, and it is fixed.

The other issue is "Negotating" handlers (and/or Filter'ed files).  I believe
those too are bogus, but there's a difference of opinion on that point.
Let's limit the discussion then to that sole issue.

> > Any extension that A) was not requested, or B) is not negotatied
> > is not eligable to be served.
>
> Please take a look at this:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_asis.html
>
> This shows an example of a .asis file being used to redirect a URL which
> has moved.  That's how we are using it on apache.org.  It would be
> useless if the user had to type in a new URL
> (http://www.apache.org/search.html.asis) to get a match.  The point is
> to allow the old URI (/search.html) to match the
> <docroot>/search.html.asis file, which contains the proper headers to
> redirect the user to the new location.

Agreed!!!  Whatever conclusion we come to today, the docs must reflect.
How do we tell the user which mod_negotation will choose between;

index.html.asis
index.html

???

Bill