httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server core.c
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2001 21:31:33 GMT
From: "Greg Ames" <gregames@remulak.net>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 4:12 PM

> wrowe@apache.org wrote:
> >
> > wrowe       01/10/21 21:36:46
> >
> >   Modified:    server   core.c
> >   Log:
> >     Fix two typos in the last patch... compiles/tests clean... Greg, please
> >     run this against Apache.org until the first core and post the results.
>
> So far, so good.  No more seg faults on log replays anyway.  Thank
> goodness...I wasn't having any success at all trying to trap it.
>
> When/if the load dies down tonight, I'll try it live.

You wouldn't.

Now that I had a chance to sleep on it several days, restudy the code and
contemplate my navel, I'm convinced it was an optimization bug.

Apparently the memcpy sufficiently confused the optimizing engine that we
had broken binaries, while the code itself was sound.

If you look at the core.c to merge per-dir sections, you will notice the
lhs/rhs args to memcpy are casted.  Any bets that's how this broke?

Bill