httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:08:11 GMT
From: <coar@apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 9:50 AM

> coar        01/10/17 07:50:48
>
>   Modified:    .        STATUS
>   Log:
>   The argument that this is a reversion to the httpd/access/srm
>   multifile scenario is bogus, IMHO; the problem with those
>   was that their purposes were not clear, nor were the orders
>   of invocation.  Putting massive (or tiny but uncommon) chunks
>   of easily self-contained special-function directives into
>   separate files simplifies the basic configuration and doesn't
>   revert to either of the trinity-file complaints, since these
>   would need to be explicitly invoked with an Include directive.

You hit the nail on the head with that last sentence.  We aren't demanding
a specific directory schema [heck, they can create a conf/ssl.d directory
and auto-multi-configure a whole slew of seperate ssl configs per host.]
The user can do what they like, when they configure up Apache.

The point is we are -choosing- to Include files, not forcing any specific
.conf file list at them [srm.conf/access.conf].  That was bogus, this is
much cleaner.