httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: New Developer
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2001 14:49:59 GMT
Hiten (and other lurkers looking for projects ;)

  95% of all Apache development is occuring in the httpd-2.0 tree, as
we approach the general release of Apache 2.0.  We entertain small patches
to clean up bugs in the apache-1.3 tree, but these are fewer and far between.

  If you checkout the httpd-2.0 tree (then change to the httpd-2.0/srclib
directory and checkout apr and apr-util there) you will discover many, many
XXX comments throughout the code (and lesser ### comments.)  These indicate
areas that the code hasn't been finialized, or thought through.  They may
indicate a bug, or a potential feature or optimization that is waiting for
an implementor.  You can also look through bugs.apache.org for ideas of
problems waiting for debugging and fixing (although we've cleared out most
of the 2.0 bugs at this moment.)

  Feel free to find such a comment in an area of code you are familiar with
and interests you.  Ask here why the comment exists, what it means, and if
your idea would be a good solution.  If the answer is yes - hack away and
post a patch to clean up that code.

  We try to respond to everyone's ideas, but there are about a dozen very
active committers who are deeply engrossed in the code they are trying to
finialize.  There are another dozen committers who are pretty much just
looking for well thought-out patches to review and commit.

  So jump in if you like, but definately monitor the list so you know what
other folks are working on.  You can always contribute, but we try to work
with one another [even when it doesn't look that way :-] to produce the
best code we can.

  Welcome :)

Bill