httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http mod_mime.c
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2001 16:55:02 GMT
From: "Rodent of Unusual Size" <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 6:06 AM

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:
> >
> > And size matters, but it's irrelevant if we are
> > choosing between cgi-generated content, (filter)
> > parsed content and static content.
>
> I'm not quite sure what the above has to do with
> mod_mime.  If you're talking about negociation, though:
>
> Not quite, I don't think.  Leave the generation method
> out of the equation; it's irrelevant.  It's the 'quality'
> of the content that matters, not how it's generated.
> The Webmaster may decide to assign a higher quality to
> static content (which also has a better performance),
> but he may not.  Please get it out of your head that the
> impact of producing the content is automatically related
> to which is the 'better' variant; we can set that up as our
> default if the Webmaster doesn't assign quality values,
> but it is *not* automatically the case.

I expressed my personal preference for a website I adminster.  That
has nothing to do with what another administrator/web author would choose
to do.

Today there is no means of prioritizing negotiated Handler/Filter documents.

My reorg of mod_mime+mod_negotation stopped auto-recognizing file extensions
that don't participate in negotation (those that _only_ set handler/filter.)
They still set a filter or hander.  If the administrator uses AddHandler for
.cgi, .php, .shtml and .foo, and all four of these files exist in /htdocs,
which one should mod_negotation elect?  Since we have no mechanics to assign
any preference, I depreciated the broken behavior.  If the user browses to
index.cgi, index.php, index.shtml, or index.foo, they will get the correct
content.  If they browse to index, they would find a Not Found.

Greg Ames reverted to the 1.3 behavior, where they will get the smallest of
the four files (of these four Handler variants.)  This was wrong before, and
is certainly wrong for 2.0 forward.

When we allow the administrator to prioritize between these handler/filter
assignments, then we can permit such filename extensions to participate in
Multiviews.  Until then, this behavior is unacceptable.  Several admin-type
folks have posted to the list that they agree, the proliferator of a given
directory isn't necessarily the administrator, and choosing the 'wrong file'
from negotation is a bug, not misconfiguration.

Bill