httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/os/netware mod_tls.c
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 20:45:10 GMT
     FYI, The reason that MOD_TLS exists on NetWare is because all of the SSL support is embedded
in our Winsock layer.  MOD_TLS doesn't actually do any encryption or contain any encryption
code.  It simply an enabling module that makes a WSAIoctl() call to tell Winsock to enable
SSL on a given port.  From then on as far as Apache is concerned, the rest is just magic.
 It exists only on NetWare because as far as we are aware, NetWare is the only OS that ships
with SSL functionality built in.  Rather than reimplementing SSL through a module such as
MOD_SSL, it is simply much easier for us to let the OS handle it.  As it stands, we will probably
end up doing the same thing for Apache 2.0

Brad

>>> cliffwoolley@yahoo.com Thursday, September 06, 2001 9:30:02 AM >>>
On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> On Thursday 06 September 2001 07:48, bnicholes@apache.org wrote:
> > bnicholes    01/09/06 07:48:46
> >
> >   Modified:    src/os/netware mod_tls.c
> >   Log:
> >   Added the ability for MOD_TLS to take advantage of the mutual
> >   authentication functionality built into Winsock and NILE on NetWare
>
> Mod_tls isn't ever really used, because mod_ssl has the exact same filters.
> Is there a chance you can port this to mod_ssl?  I will be removing mod_tls
> later this week.
>
> Sorry about this.

This is _1.3_ mod_tls, which only exists in Netware.  I've never figured
out why it was in there.  I never much liked the idea, but whatever.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA