httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Remaining CPU bottlenecks in 2.0, revisited
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2001 02:23:34 GMT
On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> in CPU usage.  I also know that gstein has gone record on his
> advogato diary that mmap may not be the performance win we
> think it may be.

Dean's been telling us that for ages... well, at least when you compare
writev to sendfile.  =-)

> It may be worth trying to compile without
> mmap and see how we perform.

Would be interesting to see, but because we're talking about parsed files,
I'm willing to bet it would be a loss to disable MMAP on most platforms,
since we're talking about the difference between MMAPing the file and
getting a single bucket out or apr_file_read()'ing in the bucket in 8KB
chunks.  That's potentially a lot of extra system calls and a lot of extra
buckets to deal with... but it's at least worth trying.

> Also, I'm guessing this is on Solaris 8?  Any chance we could get the
> sendfilev patch on there?  (I know it is part of 7/01 and Sol9 as
> well.)

Of course that would only apply to non-parsed files, but yes, it would be
quite interesting to see it if it's not already on there...

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA