httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Remaining CPU bottlenecks in 2.0, revisited
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2001 00:05:57 GMT
On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Brian Pane wrote:

> 5. memcpy's biggest callers are mmap_setaside and merge_core_dir_configs.
>    I'm not familiar enough with the bucket setaside design to know
>    what's happening there.

The mmap_setaside thing is a problem.  From apr-util's STATUS file, a note
I put in there a while back:

RELEASE NON-SHOWSTOPPERS BUT WOULD BE REAL NICE TO WRAP THESE UP:

    * mmap_setaside() should not copy the entire file into the designated
      pool -- alternatives have been discussed on dev@apr.apache.org,
      including the possibility of re-opening the file into the correct
      pool and morphing the mmap bucket back down to a file bucket.

I'll try to implement this ASAP, but the API work I'm doing has higher
priority for me, so if anyone wants to beat me to this, go for it.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA