httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <d...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: FW: Apache Optimization - Post-graduate Research
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:05:24 GMT

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Brian Pane wrote:

> I characterize Apache's performance as being limited by two very
> different classes of factors:
>
>   * Architectural factors -- e.g., a thread-per-connection server
>     generally will be slower than an event-loop server.

another way to think of these is as the constants which are hidden by the
O() notation.  the architecture is OK in a theoretical sense, but there
are some really really big constants hidden in the O()s that we'd use to
describe the architecture.

>   * Implementation factors -- e.g., using O(n)-time algorithms where
>     O(log(n)) is possible, or making extraneous system calls.

if you know of any cases where an O(n) -> O(log(n)) change can be made i'd
like to hear about them...

'cause i tend to think apache-2.0, in particular, is way more limited by
big huge constants surrounding malloc() costs, indirect calls, memory
foot-print, ...

-dean