httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <d...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: FW: Apache Optimization - Post-graduate Research
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:55:19 GMT
your numbers look about in the right ballpark for the top performance
you'll get from apache on that hardware.  the apache architecture has some
fundamental performance issues... consider using TUX instead (it's
included with redhat 7.1) or X15 (which is also linux, userland only and
performs as well as TUX).

(i'd say your hardware needs more RAM at any rate.  64MB is nothing
today.)

if you want pointers, for your study, as to why apache's architecture is
fundamentally limited then stuff you should consider is the number of
bytes of per-client state information in a server such as apache (thread
or process per client means a stack per client) vs.
TUX/X15/IIS/thttpd/zeus... which are event driven and have roughly a
thread/process per CPU.  also consider the context switching cost of
thread/process per client.  also consider the expense of the "rich"
configuration language in apache (see new-httpd threads in the past few
months regarding per_dir config merging).  also consider the cost of
dozens of indirect function calls per request (to implement a generalised
module interface).

-dean