httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: so modules, libtool and position independent code
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:27:07 GMT
> First - I don't understand why it works, since libpython is not PIC (-fpic
> is not used when compiling). From reading what I could find on the
> subject, it's supposed to crash miserably.

    You can use non-PIC code in shared libraries with the
    disadvantage that pages cannot be shared between unrelated
    processes, because each process needs to maintain its own
    relocated copy (they should be shared between parent/children
    though).

> Second - is libtool's refusal to link with non-libtool libraries an issue
> for other module writers, and what is the recommended way to go around it?
> The only solution I could think of was not using apxs.

    Libtool is capable of linking shared libraries against static
    code since version 1.3d.  Prior to that, there were patches
    available to add this feature to libtool.

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg