httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <d...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Apache-1.3: question about mod_unique_id
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 01:26:35 GMT
On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, G√ľnter Knauf wrote:

> Hi, I've compiled mod_unique_id for Win32 and for Netware, and on both
> platforms it seems to work the same as with Unix, I can see a unique
> id with SSI and cgi scripts; so can someone please explain why we have
> the #error about not supporting multitask OS?

where the code uses a pid (getpid()) you need to use a concatenation of
pid and thread id.

otherwise you violate some of the uniqueness guarantees.

i just didn't bother trying to figure out how to get a thread id in any
sort of portable way and left that to folks who actually wanted the module
on those platforms.

(this is actually mentioned in the comments near the top of the file
describing how it works and the assumptions made.)

-dean