httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] mod_gzip 2.0.26a ( Non-debug version )
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2001 19:38:07 GMT
On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> - For Ian's mod_gz, I removed the dependency on zutil.h as it is static
>   and OS_CODE seems to defined as part of the RFC (I may be wrong here).
>   Most installations do not include zutil.h in their install (such as
>   Solaris), so we can't expect it to be there.  This *may* require
>   adding the zlib license for those chunk of lines.  It seems to be a flaw
>   in zlib that they require an internal definition for actual use.

We can do it either way, I don't care.  If we snarf in the OS_CODE stuff
from zutil.h, then we include the ZLIB license in mod_gzip.c.  If we use
zutil.h, we just have a general acknowledgement of the zlib authors in
mod_gzip.c and the full ZLIB license in zutil.h itself (as it already is,
I'm sure).

> - The str* funcs are thread-safe on any platform we care about.
>   If the libc implementations aren't thread-safe, there are other
>   problems that we'll have in the core that mod_gzip's thread-safety
>   will be the least of our problems.

Agreed.

> - npp isn't completely bogus - I did essentially the same thing in
>   flood.  I did:
>     r->uri ? r->uri : ""
>   instead.  No need for a separate function though.

I should have been more explicit.  It's not bogus to do a conditional like
the one you just displayed.  I thought it was excessive to make it a whole
separate function that's only used in one place.  I thought it was bogus
to set it to the string "NULL" instead of the empty string, though
coincidentally a string that says "NULL" works out fine in the one place
where this function is used.  Then there the fact that I can't think of a
way that r->uri would ever be NULL.  Can it really?  Even when there is no
r->uri, we set it to the empty string.  That was that whole INTERNALLY
GENERATED bogosity that we scratched our heads over for a while and then
Ryan fixed it by setting it to "".  Under what circumstances will
r->uri==NULL?

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com