httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [SUBMIT] mod_gzip 2.0.26a ( Non-debug version )
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2001 19:15:58 GMT
On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:

> We decided not to wait any longer for a new BETA.
>
> Attached is the current source code for mod_gzip
> for Apache 2.x series. It has been tested
> pretty heavily and seems to be working fine.
>
> There is only 1 file... mod_gzip.c.
>
> You are free to do whatever you like with this
> submission.

Thanks Kevin.

I took the liberty of applying a good dose of Apache stylistic rules
(might have still missed some things, but I tried).  I also removed some
more debug stuff (the r->notes things) since none of it ever seemed to be
really used.  I removed the ZLIB license since I don't think any of this
code actually came from ZLIB.  The fact that it uses zutil.h is immaterial
AFAIK.  If I'm wrong, somebody tell me and I'll put the ZLIB license back
in.  I also removed some of the verbose comments... I think it's easier to
read with fewer comments in some places.  I took out the version numbering
since it'd be hard to keep that in-sync if this were in the actual
httpd-2.0 tree.  It makes sense for a 3rd party module, but not for an
official module.  I cleaned up a few logic things, but I tried my best not
to change any functionality.  I did, however, strip out the handling of
the deprecated commands... if they're deprecated, that can be documented,
but IMO there's no need to handle them just to print out an error that
says "this isn't supported anymore".  Where I had problems with/questions
about things, I put in an #error so I couldn't forget to take care of
them.  (They should be easily taken care of.)  Because of the #error
additions and the fact that I'm out of time to work on this for the day, I
haven't even tried compiling this, so there's the possibility I made some
stupid mistakes.  I'll get back to it later no doubt, but if someone else
would care to take the next turn at looking over it, I'd appreciate it.

To save bandwidth, my version is here:
http://www.apache.org/~jwoolley/mod_gzip.c

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley