httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: chunking of content in mod_include?
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2001 01:15:25 GMT
On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> I'm sorry if I'm completely uninformed here, but I've been thinking
> of this for the last day or so and I don't quite understand why we wouldn't
> incrementally mmap() and then munmap() different segments of the file
> as we walk through it (at least for mod_include). Wouldn't that save
> at least one copy of the data, not to mention the free-list management
> overhead we incur from malloc()ing/free()ing all those 8K buckets?

It's probably worth profiling...

You just have to be sure that you don't keep the whole file MMAPed at one
time, which is pretty much an impossible guarantee to make from within
file_read().  Callers can make that guarantee, but I don't know how they
communicate it to the buckets code in a clean way.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA