httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 23:27:59 GMT
On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> You will find if you read the archives, that we have cancelled
> releases in the past, because a single module did not work correctly.
> Anytime you put something into the core, you take the very real chance
> of delaying the core server.

This is true enough.

> This is why I am against putting everything into the core.  The core should
> be as small as possible, so that an individual module doesn't hold up
> releases.

We must be wary of how MANY things we remove from the core distribution,
because it's often (of course not always) the case that when we see
problems with core modules, it's really the module exposing a flaw in the
core itself.  Without the modules, we'd probably never be able to test the
core well enough to declare it stable.  This has lately been the case with
mod_include, mod_dir, mod_rewrite, mod_ssl, etc.  Those modules have
certainly each had their own problems now and then, but they've also
helped us sniff out major problems in the core.  I'm not saying that this
necessarily applies to mod_gz, but you get my point.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA