httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Radhika R <radhi...@indts.com>
Subject please unsubscribe my account
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 06:28:44 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Pane [mailto:bpane@pacbell.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 11:30 AM
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: remaining CPU bottlenecks in 2.0

dean gaudet wrote:

[...]

>>* memset() is called mostly from apr_pcalloc(), which in turn is
>>  used in too many places to yield any easy optimization opportunities.
>>

>sometimes folks are lazy and ask for zeroed memory out of habit, when they
>could easily deal with garbage at less cost.

Some good news here: I dug through the profile data and found that over half
the httpd's calls to apr_pcalloc are from one function, 'find_entry' in the
apr_hash_set implementation.  It uses apr_pcalloc to allocate a struct with
5 fields, and then it immediately overwrites 4 of those fields.  I'll submit
a patch to the APR dev list to fix this.

--Brian