httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject MPM config directives
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 20:04:11 GMT

Aaron was brave enough to raise this topic again, and I'd rather not see it
fall flat, so I'm going to try to force the issue.

Here are two proposals.  They work for both prefork and worker.  I have not
thought deeply about perchild, so I don't know how it will fit in.

A: All config directives deal with "workers".  Behind the scenes,
StartWorkers and MaxWorkers are translated into processes using Aaron's
logic.

StartWorkers              50
MaxWorkers               150
MinSpareWorkers           10
MaxSpareWorkers           50
WorkersPerProcess         25
MaxRequestsPerProcess      0

B: Slightly less elegant because different units are used for different
directives, but no behind the scenes translation is necessary, so it is more
predictable.

StartProcesses             2
MaxProcesses               6
MinSpareWorkers           10
MaxSpareWorkers           50
WorkersPerProcess         25
MaxRequestsPerProcess      0

I can live with either of these, but I don't think it makes sense to have
"StartProcess" and "MaxWorkers".  If we are going to translate one in the
background, we should translate both.

I slightly favour B because it is simpler and involves no code changes
except changing directive names.

If I don't see a concensus in the another direction or a veto in the next
couple days, I will implement B.

Joshua.