httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:48:57 GMT

>   +    * Allow the DocumentRoot directive within <Location > scopes?  This
>   +      allows the beloved (crusty) Alias /foo/ /somepath/foo/ followed
>   +      by a <Directory /somepath/foo> to become simply
>   +      <Location /foo/> DocumentRoot /somefile/foo (IMHO a bit more
legible
>   +      and in-your-face.)  This proposed change would not depricate
Alias.

I don't like that.  (Sorry to be a constant nay-sayer on config changes ;-)

1. It overloads DocumentRoot.  "Root" should mean "/".

2. It encourages people to use <Location> where they should be using
<Directory>.
(Imagine if you protected this <Location> block with basic auth, but forgot
that another URL can access the same directory.)

If you wanted to add a "URLMapTo" directive that does something similar, I
would be less opposed.  But I still would not be in favour.

Joshua.