httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Marmor <mar...@netmask.it>
Subject Content Length and Filtering
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2001 21:59:45 GMT
I know it's FAQ in this list.
And I know that I can look at the source.
Or just try.

But I'm not sure that the implementation is really what we want to have
finally, so let me ask this question:

What we are doing with the Content-Length header when a response is
filtered?

Should we block the whole response till the filtering finishes, and
only then write the whole response, with the updated Content-Length to
the client?

Or may we just omit the Content-Length field?

Or choose the behavior according to the presence of this header field
in the original response?  (i.e. if it was, for example, a CGI that
generated a Content-Length field, we should choose the first option,
and if that CGI didn't generate such field, we should choose the second
option).

Note: Although Content-Length of responses is required by the RFCs,
browsers can manage without it, contrary to Content-Length or requests
(e.g. POST), where it is a "must" not only for standardizations
purposes. My question is about responses.

Thanks,
--
Eli Marmor
marmor@netmask.it