httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: FW: Apache Optimization - Post-graduate Research
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:52:56 GMT
dean gaudet wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

[...]

>>FWIW, the worker MPM is a step in the right direction for making
>>Apache an event driven server. We just need to mangle the core HTTP
>>parsing engine to make it stateful and impose some programming
>>disiplines on an async Apache API. Good 3.0 stuff :-)
>>

>the core HTTP parsing engine has been ready for an event-driven server
>since about apache 0.7.  the only thing that needs to happen is changes to
>the content handlers.

The other big complication is that we'd need a way to avoid blocking
on disk reads if a client requests a file that isn't currently in the
filesystem cache.  I guess mincore(2) would work in cases where we happen
to have the file mmap'ed, but is there a way to tell whether a sendfile
call will block on a filesystem read?

--Brian