httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 release plan was Re: [SUGGESTION] mod_auth_xxxx API
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:45:32 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

>On Monday 24 September 2001 01:27 pm, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>>On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 02:49:08PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>>Yup, that's the ticket.  For 2.1 development.  If we keep this up, there
>>>will never be a 2.0 release this year :(
>>>
>>You know, we should come up with a *RELEASE PLAN* like the Tomcat
>>people do.
>>
>>I've said it before (it was largely ignored last time):
>>
>>"How do we know when we're there if we don't know where we're going?"
>>

>We have a release plan.  An engineer tags whenever they believe it is
>appropriate.  That build is tested, and we give it a thumbs up/thumbs down
>for alpha/beta/gold.  The only reason a tag hasn't been laid recently, is that
>we have known about showstoppers.

To me, a useful release plan is one that:
  * tells developers working on httpd-2.0 what the important things to
    work on for 2.0-GA are,
  * tells 3rd-party module developers what sort of interface they can
    expect, and
  * tells end users what feature set and performance characteristics
    they can expect.

The "tag when you believe it is appropriate" model is an effective process
for software builds, but not necessarily for product releases.

--Brian