httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Q1: Rollup Release Format - Score So Far...
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:41:48 GMT
Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Subrevision numbers should do... either use 2.0.x's x value for this or
> use 2.0.x.y's y value if x is meant to match httpd-core 2.0.x's x, which
> it probably should.

I don't see how this will work.

mod_foo wants to make a release, so they release v2.0.45.1 of the rollup
tree, containing 2.0.45 of core and 2.0.45.1 of mod_foo. But what about
mod_bar and the other modules? Will their tags need to be bumped up to
2.0.45.1 also? I would imagine they would, which is a problem.

Ideally the rollup release should commence with an enormous trumpet
call, followed by the tagging of *all* the modules (including core) with
the same tag. At this point *all* modules (including core) have to fix
any showstoppers, and a release follows shortly afterwards to testers.
If the release works, woohoo - it's a release. If not, oh well, it's an
alpha.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon