httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject [Fwd: video/vnd.mpegurl at ftp.isi.edu and default mime.types file.]
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2001 00:07:16 GMT
Roundabout, rather.  I am not sure what his point is,
but FWIW.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [Fwd: video/vnd.mpegurl at ftp.isi.edu and default mime.types file.]
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:58:52 -0700
From: "Heiko Recktenwald" <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>
To: Ken.Coar@Golux.Com

This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Heiko Recktenwald" <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>

Well, just entered mpegurl video into google and
saw your mail.
Dont know how to contribute else, I signed
geocrawler, that monitors the new-httpd list of
apache, as far as I understand it.

Ok, as you have allready heard of this "vendor
MIME type for a shellscript", Oliver Fromme wrote
2.0, there is a new URL,
http://intra.b.lab.net/~uzs106/ with some random
filelists (and a game, grepping Borroughs
electronic revolution, if you interested in such
weirdness). Basically new is how to configure
Windows 98. There is a description how to do the
necessary changes to the Windows registry
via the Netscape, Edit, Preferences, Navigator,
Applications dialog.
It works with IE too. You have sotosay to
"translate" the MIME type, Microsoft *does*
support MIME (somehow), to a hardcoded "well known
extension" like m3u , the client side extension
for MPEG audio filelists. But we dont have to care
about this, client side extensions and server side
extensions are not the same.

Dont know what you do in the apache team. Shure,
everybody can change his mime.types file himself,
no problem. But the knowledge
about MIME is minimal. Even on intra.b.lab.net, a
server administered by Thomax of orang.org, there
is audio/mpegurl instead of audio/x-mpegurl in
apache (dont know yet where).

Please rethink it ;-)

Heiko

---------------------------------------
--------------93C0BDF6BCC15935F339BA4E

Not acked.
--
#ken    P-)}

Ken Coar
<http://Golux.Com/coar/>
Apache Software Foundation
<http://www.apache.org/>
"Apache Server for Dummies"
<http://Apache-Server.Com/>
"Apache Server Unleashed"
<http://ApacheUnleashed.Com/>

ApacheCon 2001!
Four tracks with over 70+ sessions. Free admission
to exhibits
and special events - keynote presentations by John
'maddog' Hall
and David Brin. Special thanks to our Platinum
Sponsors IBM and
Covalent, Gold Sponsor Thawte, and Silver Sponsor
Compaq.  Attend
only Apache event designed and fully supported by
the members of
the ASF. See more information and register at
<http://ApacheCon.Com/>!
--------------93C0BDF6BCC15935F339BA4E
--------------93C0BDF6BCC15935F339BA4E--

Geocrawler.com - The Knowledge Archive