httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: Random Filter Syntax observations...
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:10:55 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 05:43:53PM -0700, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>Because from context to context you mean to change the server config.  What
>>works in one Location doesn't work for another, what is good for one directory
>>isn't good for another.
>>
>>You need to be able to replace those configs, if these are piled on, after
>>a sufficent number, the user won't be able to untangle where that filter
>>came in to the picture.  I believe Add/Set will prove more generally useful
>>than the new Insert/(Delete?) directive, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.
>>

> Well, I think filters should be inherited from a higher-level directory.
> Or, at the very least, allow a syntax that has that (such as
> InsertOutputFilter).
>
> When you say {Set|Add}OutputFilter, you clobber the filter chain.
> When you say InsertOutputFilter, you tack on that filter to the already
> assembled chain (probably to the end).

as long as you can remove all filters in a subdirectory by specifying a
empty 'SetOutputfilter' (or maybe ever 'Clearoutputfilter') the command
should be then renamed to SetOutputFilterChain as you are Setting/Removing
the entire chain.

the other issue I have with filters is 'enabling' them, I looked at the INCLUDE
and CASE filters, and the both have a method of turning them on (either by allow
include in mod-includes case or caseFilter On.

we need to come to agreement on whether we need to do this. Setting the filter
in the chain should enable it. period.

..Ian