httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <>
Subject Re: Add mod_gz to httpd-2.0 ( Thread restart )
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:56:18 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

>>On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 08:05:27PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
>>>Some performance results with mod_gz are available at
>>>(no core dumps.. pages look ok on a real browser while running test)
>>>I'm going to be re-running the tests for a longer period to see if
>>>there are memory leaks (as well as quantify/purify on it next week)
>>>brief summary:
>>>	* page requests down 16% when using GZ
>I don't get that one... Why would compressing the data in stream
>result in any change in page requests?
The rate at which this particular benchmark client issues requests
is throttled by the speed at which the server can issue them.  (It
uses a fixed number of client threads, each of which does one blocking
HTTP request at a time.)  The results suggest that the time spent
compressing the data exceeded the reduction in transmission time
that the compression yielded.  (This probably is to be expected with
a 100 Mb/s data path between the clients and the server.)

View raw message