httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <>
Subject Re: Add mod_gz to httpd-2.0 ( Thread restart )
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 04:15:56 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 08:07:26PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>>On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 08:05:27PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
>>>Some performance results with mod_gz are available at
>>>(no core dumps.. pages look ok on a real browser while running test)
>>>I'm going to be re-running the tests for a longer period to see if
>>>there are memory leaks (as well as quantify/purify on it next week)
>>>brief summary:
>>>	* numbers are based on pages going through mod-include
>>>	* once of the runs looks a bit flaky.. and I'm re-running it
>>>	* cpu usage (USR) is VERY high (from 100 without gz to 500)
>>>	* page requests down 16% when using GZ
> What does this mean? Total bytes transferred? If so, then why only 16%
> The number of page requests should be constant, unless mod_gz introduces
> some kind of caching.

the number of concurrent requests are constant in all of these tests.
we have 50 processes (spread across 10 machines) doing GET's of a page.
when a page is retrived is GET's it again (and again..)
so if the page response is slower, then the pages/second will also be.

we have a more sophisticated comercial machine which can generate better
traffic, but it is core dumping at the moment so I can run't the tests through it.

>>>	* page resposne times are slower with GZ, but have a lower deviation
>>The expectation is that the network bandwidth used should be much
>>lower.  The tradeoff is that the CPU should get nailed.  -- justin
> Also: latency should increase and delivery time should decrease.
> cheers,
> -g

View raw message