httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <>
Subject Re: remaining CPU bottlenecks in 2.0
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:36:27 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 11:56:48PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>You were discussing the possibility of parsing for <!--# as a skip by 5.
>>Consider jumping to a 4 byte alignment, truncating to char and skip by
>>dwords.  E.g., you only have to test for three values, not four, and you
>>can use the machine's most optimal path.  But I'd ask if strstr() isn't
>>optimized on the platform, why are we reinventing it?
>strstr() can't find strings that span a bucket boundary.
In addition, the most promising search algorithms for this problem
require a lookup table that contains metadata about the search pattern.
We can save time by precomputing the lookup table for "<!--#" at server
startup (or even at compile time), which is something that strstr()
can't do.

View raw message