httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] apr-client
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:03:44 GMT
On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 04:22:46PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > Nah. This has utility outside of httpd. Specifically, Subversion is an
> > excellent candidate. I also know that Covalent has a similar library that
> > they use internally ("apua", I believe). So that is candidate #2. And then
> > you have your flood program for candidate #3. Of course, mod_proxy would use
> > it, but that can fall under Roy's httpd placement model.
> >
> > And then there are the ones we don't know about...
>
> All the more reason why it shouldn't be part of the Apache Portable Runtime
> project.  If you want to create a new project for it, that's fine with me,
> but the only thing it has in common with APR is that it will use APR.

Hmm. Good point, but I think it also depends a bit on how you look at APR.

As a "Runtime", it can contain any kinds of functionality. And the
"Portable" is just an adjective.

Alternatively, if you have a "runtime to create portability" ... then yah:
your point would hold.

Just playing the devil's advocate :-)

I'm still in favor of apr-client. If we want to rename the top-level CVS
directory at some point, then fine...

Cheers,
-g

--