httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] apr-client
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:32:51 GMT
On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 04:15:30PM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 03:52:18PM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:
> > > FWIW, flood in httpd-test already has 80% of what Sander suggested.
> >
> > Sander and I already talked about stealing code from flood and mod_proxy. :-)
>
> *ahem* ;)
>
> In all seriousness, I think we've already got most of the code we want.
> (Flood already does or can do some of the things Sander suggested).

Yup. However, (IMO) we would be started from the API and moving code to fit
that API. That is going to impose some difficulty in terms of stealing code,
but *any* prior work is going to ramp up apr-client quickly.

> I have no problem with either the push or pull methods, but I wanted to
> make the point that flood could benefit from both request generation
> brigades/filters as well as response filtering.

Excellent.

It would be kind of cool for flood to get out of the socket business and
concentrate on its purposes: exercising, regression, and testing.

> > Absolutely. That is why my previous email mentioned that I'd be happy to see
> > a directory / cvs module get started so a roadmap could be created. I would
> > want to see the API first, built from our expertise with the brigades and
> > filtering systems, and with a lot of the ideas embodied in Neon's APIs.
>
> +1
> (once we get it rolling we can move this kind of discussion there and
> start writing design docs)

I'm guessing that we would keep the discussion on the dev@apr list rather
than spinning up another list. But I have no strong opinions there.

> I don't really care where it goes as long as it can be used independently
> of the core httpd source.

Independent of httpd effectively means APR. I guess you could be an httpd
subproject, but this has nothing to do with an HTTP server.

[ there is no way the board would establish a new PMC for this, speaking as
  one of those board members :-) ]

Cheers,
-g

--