httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: proxy - a return.
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2001 07:35:00 GMT
On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 05:45:40PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 September 2001 04:13 pm, Graham Leggett wrote:
> > Right now, what is the best way of returning mod_proxy to the tree? Is
> > it
> >
> > a) checking in the latest copy of proxy, relying on the old httpd-proxy
> > tree for history.
> > b) moving the ,v files across so that history is carried forward into
> > httpd-2.0 tree?
>
> B.  That history is incredibly important since proxy is basically a complete
> re-write for 2.0.
>
> Of course, Greg is likely to disagree with me (this is one of our long-standing
> disagreements), so wait for him to respond too, please.

Thanks for the consideration, Ryan...

Well, an import is a bit different than moving files around in the tree. I
tend to advocate "cvs add" for moving files, rather than mucking with ,v
files. Moving or copying ,v files means that files can appear when you check
out old copies (by tag if you don't remove them, but a checkout-by-date will
always produce spurious files).

But bringing files into a tree is a bit different, and having that history
can be handy.

Of course, now we get into the ugly part. httpd-2.0/modules/proxy/Attic
contains a bunch of files. A given ,v file cannot exist in *both* the
directory and its Attic. Thus, introducing (say) mod_proxy.h into
modules/proxy means that it must be removed from the Attic.

Thankfully, it appears that we moved all that history over to httpd-proxy.
Which, in turn, *may* mean that there is nothing in the Attic that is not
already in the httpd-proxy history.

But "may" is the operative word. The head revision of the files in
proxy/Attic are where we deleted them. The safety check is to look at HEAD-1
and see if that revision matches the same over in httpd-proxy. What we are
looking for is changes in httpd-2.0/modules/proxy/Attic which are not in
httpd-proxy. Should we find any, then we need to decide what to do with
them.

Next is whether any files were deleted over in httpd-proxy. The files would
also need to be moved over to modules/proxy/Attic (with the similar care for
any overwrites).

Are we having fun yet? :-)

Cheers,
-g