httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 release plan was Re: [SUGGESTION] mod_auth_xxxx API
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:54:26 GMT
On Monday 24 September 2001 01:45 pm, Brian Pane wrote:
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >>
> >>You know, we should come up with a *RELEASE PLAN* like the Tomcat
> >>people do.
> >>
> >>I've said it before (it was largely ignored last time):
> >>
> >>"How do we know when we're there if we don't know where we're going?"
> >
> >We have a release plan.  An engineer tags whenever they believe it is
> >appropriate.  That build is tested, and we give it a thumbs up/thumbs down
> >for alpha/beta/gold.  The only reason a tag hasn't been laid recently, is
> > that we have known about showstoppers.
> To me, a useful release plan is one that:
>   * tells developers working on httpd-2.0 what the important things to
>     work on for 2.0-GA are,
>   * tells 3rd-party module developers what sort of interface they can
>     expect, and
>   * tells end users what feature set and performance characteristics
>     they can expect.
> The "tag when you believe it is appropriate" model is an effective process
> for software builds, but not necessarily for product releases.

We specifically stated that we were not going to do those three things.  The point
to this releaes model, is to allow the code to keep moving forward.

You all may notice that I raikl against this release process quite often, and ask
people not to make sweeping changes, because we need to release.  However,
this is the model that was decided upon a while ago.

Ryan Bloom
Covalent Technologies

View raw message