httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 release plan was Re: [SUGGESTION] mod_auth_xxxx API
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:15:48 GMT
On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 01:54:26PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > To me, a useful release plan is one that:
> >   * tells developers working on httpd-2.0 what the important things to
> >     work on for 2.0-GA are,
> >   * tells 3rd-party module developers what sort of interface they can
> >     expect, and
> >   * tells end users what feature set and performance characteristics
> >     they can expect.
> >
> > The "tag when you believe it is appropriate" model is an effective process
> > for software builds, but not necessarily for product releases.

+1.

> We specifically stated that we were not going to do those three things.  The point
> to this releaes model, is to allow the code to keep moving forward.
>
> You all may notice that I raikl against this release process quite often, and ask
> people not to make sweeping changes, because we need to release.  However,
> this is the model that was decided upon a while ago.

Sweeping changes, eh?  I wouldn't know anyone attempting to do that...

I completely agree with Brian here.  A release plan and a tag strategy
are very different.

We can tag at any time to produce a build, but we don't have any
guidelines which say, "These need to be addressed or met by 2.0-GA."
We should have performance characteristics (i.e. comparable to 1.3?),
features (SSL), a degree of robustness (survives httpd-test and
daedalus load for 48 hours?), etc.  Otherwise, a tag is just a
shot-in-the-dark.

You and OtherBill keep saying that 2.0 is "really soon now" and that
we can't commit or do certain things because of that.  IMHO, that's
what Roy was wailing about.  I have no clue what you mean by 2.0.
-- justin