httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: New post-log-transaction hook?
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 23:49:01 GMT
> Exactly, the client is still connected, but by this time, the client should have
> received all of the data.  The only thing we have is a connection that will be
> left open until both sides get around to closing it.  If a non-keepalive request
> is still receiving data after the log-transaction phase is run, then it is a bug in
> the server, and it should be fixed.

The client may still be sending data if it is pipelining requests and
the server has decided (due to error or choice) to close the connection
in the middle of the pipeline.  The server needs to keep the connnection
open long enough for the client to ack the receipt of the TCP segments
that contained the last server response.

As a protocol, this whole thing is lame -- it is caused because the TCP
socket API is broken in regards to close semantics.

....Roy