httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Software Foundation <human-respo...@Apache.Org>
Subject FW: Apache Optimization - Post-graduate Research
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:15:45 GMT
Not acked.

----- Forwarded message from Markus van Aardt <markus@24netave.com> -----

From: Markus van Aardt <markus@24netave.com>
To: human-response@Apache.Org
Subject: Apache Optimization - Post-graduate Research
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:21:41 +0200

Hi

If I sent this mail to the wrong address, could you please forward it
to the appropriate address.  This message is related to optimization
issues for a post-graduate study.  This is the only address listed on
the Contacts page.

I am investigating the performance profiles of several web servers for
a post-graduate study at the University of Pretoria, South Africa.  I
have read through several performance reports, including the report
published by MindCraft, as well as the storm it stirred up.

I hoped that I could obtain sufficient information from Apache and
Linux documentation to optimize Apache to such an extend that it would
outperform all other servers, including Microsoft's IIS 5.0.
Unfortunately, the information I could gather from the Apache
Performance Notes (written by Dean Gaudet) and several other
Apache-related web sites did not improve the performance to match the
IIS's performance.

My test environment is based on bottom-end hosted server specifications:

        Pentium II 350
        64 MB RAM
        100 Mb Ethernet
        IDE HDD

        Redhat 7.1
        Apache 1.3.20

On a basic installation, with no optimization applied, I was able to
get the server to handle a load of just over 600 request per second.
After I applied the optimization recommendations, I could only get
this up to around 740-750 requests per second.  This figure is
undoubtedly quite impressive, but to my dismay, IIS could run at
around 1100-1200 requests per second.

Furthermore, it seems that their is a definate point I reached with
all my tests at 256 clients, in that the performance figures take a
serious hit and start to go down quite rapidly up to around 430
clients where it stabalises at 150 requests per second.  I could find
no clear explanation for this as there seems to be little benchmark
results available that cover performance figures for more than 500
clients.  Could you maybe advise as the reason for this.

I would really like to get the server running at higher speeds, but
the performance recommendations seems to be insufficient to tune the
server beyond its current state.  Could you point me to any other
documentation or person who might assist me in this issue.  The
performance figures I obtained for this particular test was based on a
static 16K HTML file.  I am also running the tests on DSO support
through Borland's Kylix.

I appreciate the time you invested in reading this letter.

Best regards
Markus van Aardt

----
Solutions for the Internet - http://www.24netave.com/