httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/worker worker.c
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:18:31 GMT
On Wednesday 19 September 2001 12:11 pm, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 06:47:31PM -0000, trawick@apache.org wrote:
> > trawick     01/09/19 11:47:31
> >
> >   Modified:    server/mpm/worker worker.c
> >   Log:
> >   if we're gonna trash the connection due to a queue overflow, at the
> >   very least we should close the socket and write a log message (mostly
> >   to aid debugging, as this is a showstopper problem)
> >
> >   this is no fix; there is a design issue to consider; hopefully this
> >   will
>
> [I assume you had more to say?]
>
> Yes, you are absolutely correct. I am so glad you caught that. This
> reveals another design issue:
>
> Now that the queue represents the number of accepted-but-not-processed
> sockets, it does not necessarily need to be the size of the number of
> threads, but instead some other value that indicates the number of
> sockets we'll accept before sending back some "Server Busy" error.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> 1) How do we send back that error?

You can't.  There is no way to determine how busy the other processes are.

> 2) How long should the queue be? Should we just set some arbitrary
> constant, defined in mpm_default.h, or should we come up with some
> heuristic?

Manoj actually ran tests about this back when we were using the apache-apr
repository.  In his tests, the optimal length was equal to the number of threads.
Having a bit of wiggle room just didn't get us anywhere.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org