httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: 304's and mod-include
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:33:23 GMT
On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 12:16:01PM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
> Ian Holsman wrote:
>
> >found something interesting.
> >
> >a mod-included page (which by it's nature is dynamic)
> >is getting 304's returned instead of running the page.
> >

> >I'm just wondering if we should remove the 'Last-Modified' and 'ETag'
> >fields from the header-out response. (like we do with the
> >content-length)
> >
> I suppose the best way to handle Last-Modified for mod_include would
> be to use the most recent of all of the timestamps of the included
> files, and suppress the Last-Modified if any included component is
> dynamic.  But that might be a lot more trouble than it's worth;
> simply removing Last-Modified and ETag is much easier.

It is definately more trouble than it's worth, especially when you take
into account that when you #include virtual/cgi you can't really determine
if that page is dynamic or not. IIRC, you can also simply include the
output from exec'd programs (it's been awhile since I've really used
includes).

Probably best to just remove the Last-Modified and ETag headers.

-aaron