httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Apache-1.3: question about mod_unique_id
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2001 00:36:40 GMT
On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 09:35:43AM -0700, dean gaudet wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Greg Stein wrote:
> > > Seems that we now have 64 bit cpu's with potentially 64 bit pids.  This adds
> > > to the equation, it looks like we need to cut over to those extra four bytes
> > > across all platforms.
> >
> > Oh, screw all that mess :-)  Just use a UUID for the unique id. It has lots
> > of bits, and it is already unique (by definition and without work).
>
> i'm not convinced the UUID implementation in 2.0 is unique, or is as
> robust as the technique mod_unique_id uses ... i started digging into this
> months ago and never quite finished.  hopefully i'll get back to it and
> see if i'm right or wrong.

Well, for Apache 1.3, you definitely can't use the APR UUID stuff :-)

On Windows, for 1.3, you can simply call CoCreateGuid() and be done with it.
And the Windows guids are unique.

[ I seem to recall this thread started as a result of a Windows problem;
  UUIDs would solve it for that platform. maybe it was Netware? ]

Regarding APR's UUID solution: if you think it isn't "good enough", then I'd
be interested in knowing. It collects a decent amount of see and then hashes
it to get a "random" result. If there is more seed data that we could use,
then we should.

Cheers,
-g

--