httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: Hard coded HTTPD_ROOT in httpd.h...
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2001 16:28:29 GMT
On Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:08:53 -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:

>   Thank you for the feedback but I am still concerned about how this is going to work
on NetWare.  Here are the reasons why:

>1) NetWare like Win32 and OS2, does not have a configure utility therefore config.layout
will do us no good at all.  In fact 99% of the compile time configuration is meaningless to
us mostly due to the next reason.

Just for the record, I DO use configure on OS/2. (and yes, that's how it
should be written. The / only gets left out because it can't be included in
a file name :)

This is possible because most common unix utilities have been ported to
OS/2, including autoconf. However, few end users have them all installed so
most will run the binary package I build, putting them in the same
situation as Netware users in that they must either install in the same
place I did or specify the location with a switch. There's also no file
system standard so anything I pick isn't going to suit many people.

Wouldn't it make sense on most (all?) non unix platforms for the server
root & config files' default location to be relative to either the httpd
executable or the CWD at start-up?