httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject httpd-extras (was: Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS)
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:54:28 GMT
On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:51:41PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> "William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:
>
> > http://modules.apache.org/
> >
> > Perhaps this isn't frequently referenced enough from our own pages???
>
> There is currently no way to distinguish between apache-supported (but
> not included in the core) modules, and third party modules which have no
> implied level of code quality. This distinction is very important from a
> user perspective.

Agreed. It is really difficult to get any measure of release frequency or
maintenance. Ideally, modules.apache.org ought to be more like Freshmeat --
a good amount of detail on each module and its release history.

> I agree with Ian's httpd-extra's proposal, which is a release of extra
> stuff that is not part of the core, but is "blessed" and supported by
> the folks here.

I'd tend to agree with it also, but with two changes:

1) don't drop them into different places in modules/, but just have them all
   go into modules/extra/... That would allow us to have a cvs root at
   modules/extra (the intermixed form implies only using a tarball)

2) set it up *after* we establish the httpd-rollup subproject, so that we
   have a consistent, easy work pattern for multiple/rollup releases

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/