httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Future release strategies
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 20:21:52 GMT
On Thursday 06 September 2001 11:47, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > > We have no control over APR.  APR will not make a release just because
> > > the web server wants it to.  Apache needs to either use an already
> > > released APR, or it needs to specify a date/time to check out APR.
> >
> > We have no control over libc either, and yet we use that. Surely we can
> > just consider APR a necessary external library that we link against -
> > which has it's own release schedule - or is APR still too closely tied
> > up with Apache for this to be practical?
>
> I think APR is still changing too much for this to be practical. IMO, it
> would be a serious mistake to attempt to ship apache httpd 2.0 w/o
> including a copy of APR that has been tested with the server. APR is not
> (yet) libc.

Thie big problem with this, is being able to reproduce from CVS.  It may mean
that we have to include a timestamp in buildconf when we tell people to check
out APR.  The problem is that if I go check-out httpd-2.0.30, I don't want to
find a tag in APR that says   APACHE_2_0_30 and check that out, I want to
grab APR_1_0_1.

Ryan
Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org