httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Future release strategies
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 17:09:46 GMT
On Thursday 06 September 2001 09:42, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> > We have no control over APR.  APR will not make a release just because
> > the web server wants it to.  Apache needs to either use an already
> > released APR, or it needs to specify a date/time to check out APR.
>
> We have no control over libc either, and yet we use that. Surely we can
> just consider APR a necessary external library that we link against -
> which has it's own release schedule - or is APR still too closely tied
> up with Apache for this to be practical?

You missed my point.  Your original message said that the first step was to
release APR.  That is incorrect.  We do not release APR on this list, and if
that is our first step, then it is broken.  We can either use a previously released
version of APR, or we can use a timed checkout.  APR should always never
be removing an API, once it is released, so we should be safe however.

I just refuse to let our first step be "release APR".

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org