httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 23:23:31 GMT
On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 07:04:43PM -0400, TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:
> Justin... you are the one who kicked this football down
> the field in the first place at this point in time so it's your
> turn for the hotseat for a moment.
>
> Can you explain why, in so many words, this is such
> a house on fire for you, personally?

I think this functionality belongs in the core (not as a
sub-project or as a separate standalone module).  That's it.

Its omission up until this time has been for purely political
reasons (as evidenced by the flame fest over the last few days).
IMHO, there is no good technical reason to not have this
concept as a core Apache module (be it mod_gz or mod_gzip).

In point of fact, I had no idea that people would react so
vehemently against the idea.  But, that's also because I'm
a clueless newbie - Roy probably would have warned me about
this quagmire if he was in town, oh, well...  =-)  I'll
probably never hear the end of it when he returns.  -- justin