httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Proposal: Future release strategies
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:20:19 GMT
On Thursday 06 September 2001 05:01, Graham Leggett wrote:

> o We release apr-x.x.x.tar.gz containing APR, which can be installed
> separately (this is the direction APR seems to be going, we should
> follow it through to it's logical conclusion).

We have no control over APR.  APR will not make a release just because
the web server wants it to.  Apache needs to either use an already released
APR, or it needs to specify a date/time to check out APR.

> o APR needs to be made to be buildable and releasable on it's own
> (assuming this is not already possible).

APR is buildable on it's own, but people need to work on getting APR to a release
state.

> o Each of mod_ssl, mod_proxy and mod_ldap needs to be stripped into it's
> own archive, and the rollup script needs to be modified to produce a
> rollup tarball for these modules (or combined module).

Woah.  Mod_ssl was put into the core for a reason.  I don't want to remove it
unless everybody wants to.  I am not sure that I even believe mod_ldap should
be a sub-project either.  I don't remember ever having that conversation.  But,
I will not stand in the way of it.

> o The build procedures for mod_ssl, mod_proxy and mod_ldap need to be
> modified so that they are buildable outside the Apache tree.

No.  They should use the config.m4 mechanism.  We are releasing them as
source, and they can easily be built inside the tree.  What's more, we can
easily use apxs to build them outside the tree.

Ryan
Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org