httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: remaining CPU bottlenecks in 2.0
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 03:40:24 GMT
On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 08:34:30PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
> I got 1 more question about the solaris implementation
> of the Threaded/Worker MPM.
>

> should we be called the setconcurrency flag on startup ?
> I know solaris figures it out along the way, but a bit of gentle
> prodding never hurt.

Aaron and I went back and forth on this.  He was of the mind that
the user scheduler should figure it out after a period of time
(and that we shouldn't muck with it).

The badness happens in testthread.c - Solaris executes that code
in serial since the user scheduler never has a chance to
interrupt and balance the threads.  But, in the "real" code,
Solaris balances it since we hit syscalls and mutexes quite often.

An equivalent to calling pthread_setconcurrency is to use
/usr/lib/lwp/libthread.so instead of /usr/lib/libthread.so.
-- justin