httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: zlib inclusion and mod_gz(ip) recap
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2001 18:32:54 GMT
On Wednesday 05 September 2001 11:27, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Doug MacEachern wrote:
> > for new modules?  no, you create a separate tree for the new module
> > (either on apache.org or sourceforge or your own laptop or wherever).
> > if the httpd-2.0 tree needs tweaking for smooth integration of a new
> > module, that's fine.
>
> That's wonderful news for users. No longer do they download the tarball,
> build it, and enable the features they want, now they trawl the web
> looking for this module and that module - assuming they even know the
> modules exist in the first place.
>
> We need to keep things simple from a user perspective, and not just
> focus on keeping things simple from a developers perspective.

What trawl the web?  Register the thing with modules.apache.org, and then
all users just go there.  If modules.apache.org isn't good enough, then let's
fix that problem.

Again, rolling EVERY possible module into one Apache dist is not the solution
to the module problem.  It is a band-aid to the problem.

If the only reason to include the module in the core is so that users don't have
to trawl the web, then I will veto it right now.  That is NOT a valid reason to
include the module in the core IMNSHO.

Ryan
Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org