httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Fw: Regarding lower-case HTML tags
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2001 04:52:46 GMT
On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:12:32PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Josh just came up with what I believe is the best explanation of if and
> when to reformat - I think this applies equally well to sources and docs.
>
> I'd added only one caviat - changes to the format should always -preceed-
> the patch to the actual code, and there shouldn't be format changes if there
> is no work to commit that the existing format didn't interfere with.
>
> Note that +/- whitespace patches (including newlines) are _simple_ to ignore.
> Changes to anything else (capitalization, etc) are most definately not.
>
> I personally reformat often - but only if it 1. increases legibility in
> 2. a module I'm actively refactoring.  But Joshes' explanation is great :)

I'm wondering if we can add this on the site somewhere so that future
committers don't end up in the same trap I found myself in.

(There is no place anywhere that says that we don't actively follow
the style guide...I was under the (false) impression that we should
be actively following it...) -- justin